Theft at Theta Chi

Theft at frat house brings brothers together.

An+unkown+male+was+seen+waiting+on+the+porch+of+the+Theta+Chi+house+the+same+day+electonics%2C+money+and+other+personal+items+were+stolen+from+two+members.+

Cole Mayer

An unkown male was seen waiting on the porch of the Theta Chi house the same day electonics, money and other personal items were stolen from two members.

Kallie Wilson, Reporter

On Oct. 13, members of Hamline’s fraternity, Theta Chi, experienced a disappointing and unexpected turn of events.

Fraternity brothers Adam Whitt, Philanthropy Officer, and Ben Scheel, House Manager, were both victims of an on-campus theft. Electronics, money, personal items and opportunity were all lost due to this unfortunate incident.

According to Scheel, it has been confirmed that an unidentified man—tall with blonde hair and beard—carrying a black backpack was seen waiting on their porch that afternoon.

“No one talked to him or confronted him, that I know of,” said Scheel.

There is currently no evidence that this person was the culprit, but the fraternity has identified two possible ways in which the break-in could have occurred. In Scheel’s words, the thief could have “talked to a brother and waited to be let in” or “[the burglar] went through [the] front window.” The window in question is now being locked at all times.

As a result of the money being stolen, Scheel expected that he would be unable to pay for his entrance fee, due last week, for Grandma’s Marathon that will take place this spring. However, with the help of former fraternity member and Hamline graduate, Reid Shepard, Scheel was able to sign up. “It’s because of him that I’m running,” Scheel said.

Soon-to-be inducted Theta Chi member, Alex Forsmen, said that the “brothers work hard to be there for each other.”

Although the theft only affected two members of the fraternity, “everyone took a chance to be helpful,” said Shepard.

In spite of a difficult situation that shocked all the members, this experience according to Scheel “showed what true brotherhood look[s] like.” He believes that it broke stigma. It’s a common assumption, he said, that their organization is purely about making friends, “but it’s a stronger social bond than that.”

Shepard agrees, stating that Theta Chi members make up a “good group of people that want to help others.”

Although it may sound cliché, Whitt said, “stranger danger is and always will be an issue.”

To prevent the recurrence of a situation like this, both members suggest that all Hamline students be cautious and  aware at all times. Little actions such as making sure doors are shut and windows are locked when no one is around are good habits that go a long way to maintain safety and security.

It’s possible that “it all could have been prevented,” Scheel said, if someone had spoken up and asked why the stranger was there.