Bat Boy flutters into theater

“Bat Boy: The Musical” comes to Hamline through May 2 at Anne Simley Theatre.

Justin Christensen, Reporter

The theater is dark as shadows on the backdrop appear depicting three people descending into a cave. A light illuminates the three as they reach the bottom and begin to celebrate getting deeper in the cave than ever before. Then, a pale figure appears, creeping around slowly in the background. A violent encounter ensues when they confront the figure and the audience is introduced to the cave creature, Bat Boy.

And so begins the second night of Hamline’s very own production of “Bat Boy: The Musical.” Directed by Kaori Kenmotsu and Jeff Turner, “Bat Boy” stars many Hamline Theatre veterans including sophomore Jacob Hooper as Bat Boy himself. “Bat Boy” combines humor, some violence, dance and stellar 50s– and 60s–inspired musical numbers to give the audience a thrillingly original experience.

For those who didn’t get a chance to see the musical, “Bat Boy” is set in a small town: Hope Falls, West Virginia. The three children from the cave, Ruthie, Ron and Rick Taylor eventually get Bat Boy up to the surface and into Hope Falls. The town is whipped into a frenzy about what to do with Bat Boy because he seems inhuman with his sharp fangs, untamed screams and contorted way of moving. Eventually Sheriff Reynolds, played by sophomore Ethan Mundt, drops Bat Boy off at the local doctor’s house to be put down.

However, Doctor Thomas Parker, played by junior Alex Grosz; his daughter, Shelley Parker, played by sophomore Kristen Bark; and his wife, Meredith Parker, played by senior Stephanie Johnson, grow fond of Bat Boy and teach him how to speak, read and use basic manners. They name him Edgar, and Shelley starts to fall in love with him.

Meanwhile, the townspeople, especially Mrs. Taylor whose daughter Bat Boy attacked in the cave, are getting increasingly suspicious about Bat Boy’s presence at the Parkers’. They don’t want Bat Boy around, especially at the town’s upcoming revival meeting.

Doctor Parker keeps his word about not bringing Bat Boy to the revival, but Meredith and Shelley undermine him and decide to bring him anyway. This sends Doctor Parker into a crazed obsession to sabotage Bat Boy and turn the town against him. Doctor Parker falls deeper and deeper into this obsession, even killing people along the way.

Eventually, the town does turn against Bat Boy. However, Shelley and Bat Boy manage to escape, sharing a few intimate moments, and a few weird moments involving various animals, in a secluded area deep in the woods. Before long, the town catches up to the two, and a jaw dropping twist is revealed by Meredith and Doctor Parker. “Bat Boy” then ends in chaotic bloodshed.

One of the best parts about “Bat Boy” is how it combines humor with touching moments. One example is when Meredith is trying to teach Bat Boy to talk. At first, the teaching lesson isn’t going very well, but once Meredith starts leveling with Bat Boy by imitating his yelps, he seems to respond. The yelping back and forth between the two characters is not only sweet and humorous, but it also shows the first hints of Bat Boy’s humanity. Another example is when Bat Boy starts to speak in a high English accent and acts as a butler around the Parker house. His urge to please his new family, combined with his accent that is far removed from his original ferocious growls, is another humorous and touching moment.

Other highlights include the wonderful music, which plays perfectly into every scene; the wardrobe, poking fun at small town life with many overalls and plaid shirts; and the dancing, which is very coordinated and entertaining. The lighting is also very well done, growing brighter during the happier scenes and darker during the more ominous ones. There aren’t too many effects or stage props, but this works because it focuses the attention on the singing, dancing and top-notch acting that is characteristic of this frenzied musical. In the end, the audience seemed happy to have Bat Boy flutter into their lives.

“Bat Boy: The Musical” is playing through May 2 at Anne Simley Theatre. Tickets run from $2-8 and more information can be found by contacting the Hamline University Theatre Box Office at 651-523-2905.

“Bat Boy: The Musical” is the final Hamline theater production of the 2014-2015 season and runs through Saturday, May 2 at Anne Simley Theatre.