Interfaith Adventure of Art and Spirituality

Poets, dreamers and the merely curious visited Hamline Church last week for a spiritual respite in spoken word, music and meditation.

Hanna Haglund, Reporter

“Art is a conversation between lovers. True art makes the divine silence of the soul break into applause”

As winter’s cold fronts show no sign of letting up, and midterm creeps up right around the corner, some of us are feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Perhaps you have an internship this semester and your schedule is loaded. Maybe it is your first spring break away from home and you are feeling a little lost. Perhaps you are busy with classes, homework, waiting tables and trying to maintain a social life. Whether you are a student or a professor, feeling a little detached sometimes can be unavoidable. We can forget to look up from our crazy lives and breathe.

On Thursday, March 5, 2015, Hamline Church United Methodist presented “Speaking Like Light: An Evening of Spiritual Poetry from Around the World.” Ross Hackenmilller, Hamline Church’s outreach coordinator and Hamline alum, led a group through poetic wanderlust, meditation silence and beautifully serene music. Featuring poets such as Gregory Orr, a contemporary American poet and Thich Nhat Hanh, a contemporary Vietnamese Zen Buddhist monk.

“The event is an interfaith adventure of art and spirituality. Although the church is Methodist, people of all different religions and backgrounds are welcome. One of my main goals is to point out similarities between the devotional/spiritual/contemplative poetry from different religious traditions through time and space,” Hackenmiller said.

The night gave the audience time for self reflection and meditation. The work that was presented was a combination of music and poetry from Hinduism, Catholicism and other cultures.

“The event was intended as a space for people to get away from their busy schedules, quiet their minds and reflect on these universal, deeper, introspective elements of life. There are many Hamline Church congregation members who enjoy these more contemplative styles of worship, so we’re hoping to connect with others who are looking for these kinds of experiences.” Hackenmiller said.

Attendees of the event included students, faculty and the Hamline church congregation. Several Hamline professors and church members read poems which were often accompanied by music.

“On a daily basis, students need to find a short period of time to let go of life’s burdens and stressors. Find a quiet place, go on a walk or to listen to music to just be in a different way. Everyone needs a refuge and we need to make time to breathe.”said Hamline Religion professor, Mark Berkson .

Those who attended the “Speaking Like Light” event found out that the chaos of life can often be calmed with poetry, music and meditation, reminding us that there is always time to reflect and enjoy the silence.