Flash Jordan

An inside look at the career of HU women’s basketball senior Jordan Sammons.

Cole Mayer

Senior forward Jordan Sammons looks to drive the lane against the Augsburg Auggies on Jan. 21, 2015.

Gino Terrell, Sports Editor

A hand injury kept senior women’s basketball forward Jordan Sammons out of action for her final game at Hutton Arena on Saturday, Feb. 14, Valentine’s Day, when she was honored alongside her senior teammates Mackenzie Lee and Krystina Rasmussen.

Speedy, relentless and commanding are three words Je’Naya Brown, former teammate (2010-2014) and a current member of the women’s basketball coaching staff, used to describe Sammons.

“She wasn’t given the nickname ‘flash’ for nothing,” Brown responded in an email interview. “Her play style and personality on the court just demands respect. She lets her game do most of the talking and I think everyone will agree that you have to respect her when she has the ball in her hands.”

Sammons became the all-time scoring leader for Hamline’s women’s basketball team on Jan. 24, against Concordia-Moorhead. She currently has 1730 career points and 287 career steals, also a career mark that ranks the most in school history.

“It’s just like an accomplishment, an award for myself. I’m not always about the points, I’d rather have the win than score the most,” Sammons said.

Although Sammons has improved over the years she says each year it gets tougher.

“Everyone knows how I play. I have to work just as hard on offense,” Sammons said. “A lot of my points come in transition…I work hard on both ends of the court and that’s what helps me as a scorer.”

Head Coach Kerri Stockwell said her all-around play is what makes her a dangerous threat on the offensive end. She also compliments Sammons on her leaping ability to clear the boards. Sammons has 815 rebounds in her career as she ranks fourth on Hamline’s all-time list.

“It’s great knowing that you go in night in and night out with a player that has that ability to really help your team on both ends of the floor and compete at a high level. She’s going to go at it no matter what,” Stockwell said.

Sammons said her ultimate goal this year was to get back to the playoffs as one of her favorite memories was during the 2012-2013 season when they beat Bethel at Hutton Arena to make the playoffs.

“I still remember the day when we beat Bethel to make it to the playoffs. It was an unreal moment, like ‘oh my gosh we just did it,’” Sammons said.

On Feb. 13, 2013, her former teammate (2009-2013) and a current member of the coaching staff Kara Poirier hit a three point shot as time expired, which sent the team into the playoffs.

Sammons says this season has been about playing for her mother who’s terminally ill and has been attending all of her home games.

“I play for my mom right now…with her situation and what she’s going through. I’m not playing for myself anymore,” Sammons said.

Sammons began playing basketball in fourth grade after watching her uncle coach. She said her mom didn’t watch basketball as she was into soccer which Sammons played since kindergarten but when Sammons wanted to try basketball the two would watch NBA games on TV together. Little did Sammons know what started as a fun P.E. activity was a sport she’d be able to excel at.

Sammons eventually decided to enroll at Hamline. Stockwell said when she first scouted her and saw her play in high school her first impression was that she was a good “hard nosed” player, really talented on defense. Stockwell said something she admired about Sammons was her leadership during her senior year of high school. Sammons was the only senior on the team and Stockwell admired her willingness to help and instruct the younger players on the team.

When Sammons started her career with the Pipers she was an immediate starter. Sammons had her breakout performance in her third career game on Dec. 3, 2011. Sammons scored 28 points and was tied with the team’s high as Brown also scored 28 to defeat the St. Catherine Wildcats 106-100 in double overtime.

She revealed before the game nerves were high but afterwards “it was a good moment.”

“It was just an encouragement and a boosts in my confidence,” Sammons said.

Since then Sammons was able to take off and be an impact player for the Pipers.

Stockwell said off the court it was good to see Sammons open up over the years.

“Jordan and I started off as good teammates and grew into great friends,” Poirier messaged.

With two games remaining the Pipers sit at eighth place in the MIAC and are one game back from the final seed for a playoff spot. They will have two road games to close the season as they play St. Catherine tonight and St. Thomas on Saturday Feb. 21.

Stockwell credits the senior class: Sammons, Lee and Rasmussen, for changing the culture of the team.

“[The senior class has created] a very positive shift in terms of mentality, in terms of goals [and] overall work ethic,” Stockwell said.