Cinema Corner: The Theory of Everything

The true story of Stephen and Jane Hawking.

Selma Karic, Reporter

theory_of_everythingvia impawards.com
“The Theory of Everything,” a movie about the life of Jane and Stephen Hawking, was released in limited theaters Nov. 7 and everywhere Nov. 21. Directed by Academy Award winner James Marsh, the film stars Eddie Redmayne (Stephen) from movies such as “Les Miserables” and Felicity Jones (Jane) from movies such as “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.” Other names include David Thewlis who is best known for his work in the “Harry Potter” series as Remus Lupin.

Rated PG-13, the movie is about the exploration of time and the relationship between physicist, cosmologist and author Stephen Hawking and his wife Jane. The two meet while studying at Cambridge and develop a relationship prior to Stephen’s diagnosis with a paralyzing motor neuron disease at a young age. Despite his illness, the couple get married and start a family while learning to adjust life to meet Stephen’s needs.

Based on the memoir “Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen” by Jane Hawking, the movie takes viewers through a journey of love and the overcoming of odds. With brilliant storytelling and remarkable performances from both Redmayne and Jones, the two embark on a journey of discovery and chance. In a well-crafted and emotional work of art, Redmayne does an incredible job at transforming into the Stephen Hawking that we all know today.

Overall I give the movie 9 stars out of 10. The movie is brilliant and runs for 2 hr. 3 min., which I find to be the only downfall. With amazing dialogue and effortless acting, it’s hard not to love this movie. Reduced price tickets can be purchased at the Anderson Center front desk at any time with a valid student ID.

ORACLE STAR RATING:9/10