The Lawyer as Leader: alumna Artika Tyner releases new book

Author reveals “how to plant people and grow justice.”

Hanna Haglund, Reporter

last ditch artika tyner book cover

On September 8, 2014, Dr. Artika Tyner released her ABA approved book, The Lawyer as Leader. Dr. Tyner graduated from Hamline in 2002 and currently practices Civil Rights law as an attorney. She also is an assistant professor at the University of St. Thomas. According to Dr. Tyner this book was inspired by her law students and their hunger for knowledge. She wanted to create a manuscript that could act as a roadmap to social change and leadership.

“This book is made up of some facts and personal experiences with social justice. I wanted to show how social issues today are influenced by poverty, race and marginalization,” Tyner said.

The Lawyer as Leader showcases how to use professional skills to aid social change. Tyner addresses issues from educational inequality, fair prison sentencing and accessibility to justice; though her work does not end at her book.  She has done work in social justice inside prisons. Focusing on fair and reasonable costs for prison phone calls, she believes it is important for families to stay connected.

Dr. Tyner is also extremely passionate about social change, especially in the classroom.

“3.3 million children are referred out of the classroom when they act out. This says a lot about disciplinary issues and policies for young people. There is a need for fair education and more effective discipline strategies in the classroom,” Tyner said.

For more information about Dr. Artika Tyner, her work in social justice and her new book visit her website at www.artikatyner.com. She can also be found on Facebook and her blog.

“My advice to students who want to make a change: find a few issues you are passionate about and create a movement,” Tyner said.