Investigating the reality of world hunger

Jim Scheibel’s Introduction to Nonprofit students promote awareness of hunger around the globe.

The+hunger+banquet++randomly+divides+students+into+groups+that+vary+in+income+and+socioeconomic+status.+This+group%2C+which+represents+the+lowest+income+class%2C+sits+on+the+floor.+

Cole Mayer

The hunger banquet randomly divides students into groups that vary in income and socioeconomic status. This group, which represents the lowest income class, sits on the floor.

Cole Mayer, Photo Editor

Ever wondered how much  people eat across the world? Oxfam, a global nonprofit,  answers just that.

Last week, students in Hamline’s School of Business Introduction to Nonprofit class taught by Professor Jim Scheibel put on an event to highlight the global issue of hunger.

Upon entering, participants were randomly divided into three income class levels: high income, middle income and low income. Each person was given a card with the story of someone who lives on one of those incomes. Each group was designated a specfic area to sit. The higher income groups were placed at a high-end table with cushioned chairs. The middle income group was placed at a plastic table with plastic folding chairs and the low income group had to sit on the floor.

Professor Jim Scheibel serves up a portion of rice and beans.
Cole Mayer

Participants were then given a  meal of  portioned rice, beans or a  box lunch dependent on their assigned income status. Throughout the event, particpants were reminded that 50 percent of the world live in the lower income status while 30 percent live in the middle income status. They were also informed that most of the middle income class was borderline low income.

Sophomore Brody Honkanen, a student in Scheibel’s class, said the event was beneficial to all who attended, “I thought everyone had a good time and learned about how people outside the United States live. I think the most influencial part was the experenice of the meal.Only getting a small scoop of rice for lunch certainly did not fill me up.”

Oxfam’s goal is to raise awareness and action about the inequality of social hunger around the world. Attendees were encouraged to spread the word about world hunger and inequalities around the world.